MIND-INTELLIGENCE has infinite answers to the most befuddling and complex human problems. To discern MOTHER-INTELLIGENCE's many innovative and effective answers we must abandon our ingrained biases and mental traps, be open to new insights, and flexible with experimentation.
Illegal drug trafficking, alcohol-related violence and accidents, and prescription drug dependency are complex social problems which require multiple creative solutions. MIND's solutions can ameliorate the destructive, personal and social effects of imprisoning a half a million drug users; the devastating, drug-trafficking-related violence in Mexico and Central America; the thousands of yearly deaths and broken homes caused by drunkenness; and the lives damaged by the overuse of prescription drugs.
Here are some fresh, effective solutions reported by experts such as Kleiman, Caulkins, and Hawken (Dr. Kleiman is professor of public policy at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs. Dr. Caulkins is Stever Professor of Operations Research and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University. Dr. Hawken is associate professor of public policy at Pepperdine University. They are co-authors of "Drugs and Drug Policy: What Everyone Needs to Know." ):
1. Raising the federal alcohol tax. It lowers drinking among most teenagers.
2. Persistently educating the public about the dangers and misuse of prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
3. The 24/7 Sobriety program in South Dakota which requires people who commit alcohol-related crimes to present themselves twice a day, every day, for a breathalyzer test in order to remain out of jail. If they fail to appear, or if the test shows they have been drinking, they go straight to jail for a day.
4. Judge Alm's program, called HOPE, applies swift, but moderate, sanctions to repeat offenders. Probationers are required to call in every day to see if it is their day to be tested. It has led to "reduced drug use by more than 80% and days behind bars by more than 50%, according to figures from the National Institute of Justice. Offenders quickly learned that drug use was no longer something they could get away with, and even most long-term users were able to quit. The program freed them from the cycle of use, crime and incarceration."
5. The Drug Market Intervention program. Deeply established drug markets have disappeared quickly when the police rounded up the drug dealers, jailed the most violent ones, and gave the non-violent ones the choice to either stop completely, to move their business underground, or go to jail.
6. The Boston Ceasefire program. With this program gang violence and murder has been vastly eliminated. When every member of the gang feels intense police pressure on all their illegal activities, the gang leadership finds it beneficial to enforce a non-violence pact.
Spiritual, intelligent cognition causes us to abandon the worn-out platitudes, prejudices, and ignorance common to obstinately repeating ineffective solutions. We have the ability to perceive and implement effective, new solutions from supreme INTELLIGENCE.